• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need some help for my Dad

need_advise

Greenlighter
My dad has degenerative disc disease and has been on an ever increasing amount of medicine over the last 4 years. I have read around here and you all seem to be a really bright bunch and I am wondering if my dads doctors are crazy with all the medicines that they have him on. Here is his daily regimen. Let me know what you guys think. (Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I figured with the amount of medicine involved that it should go in advanced DD)

Fentanyl patch 25mg every third day

Morning

Gabapentin 800mg
MORPHINE SULFATE 15mg
Valium 10mg
Buspirone hydrochloride 10mg
CITALOPRAM 80mg
Baclofen 20mg

Noon

Gabapentin 800mg
MORPHINE SULFATE 15mg
Valium 10mg
Baclofen 20mg

Evening

Gabapentin
MORPHINE SULFATE 15 MG
Valium 10mg
Baclofen 20mg

Night

MORPHINE SULFATE 15mg
Valium 10mg
Baclofen 20mg
Seroquel XR 300mg
Mirtazapine 15mg
Trazadone HCL 100mg

Last edited:
Tazadone, remeron and seroquel to sleep?

Well...at those doses seroquel is definetly being used as an antipsychotic but still the sedation must be intense.

The seroquel and trazadone seem very unneccesary. And what's the buspirone for? I don't think it has significant pain relieving effects, and there may be some health risk considering it's combined with all those other SSRI's.

Without knowing why he's on each specific drug, it's impossible to really say much.

Buspirone, Mirtazepine, Trazodone, Quetiapine and Citalopram? That combination actually seems dangerous, serotonin syndrome sort of stuff.

I'll comment more later, but that seems odd. Also the morphine dosing is retarded.

--> Healthy Living

I think there are more medical people here, ADD is mostly chemists/pharmacologists/biochemists/molecular biologists.

--> Healthy Living

I think there are more medical people here, ADD is mostly chemists/pharmacologists/biochemists/molecular biologists.

Thanks.

Let me add, he is only 43. He can fall asleep at any moment during the day, but also has a hard time getting good sleep at night. The pain clinic has him on four of the medicines: MORPHINE SULFATE 15mg 4x daily, Fentanyl patch 25mg every third day, Baclofen 20mg 4x daily and Gabapentin 800mg 3x daily /(off label Neurontin?). The rest are from a psychiatrist. From the way he talks sometimes, it sounds like he thinks he is a burden on my mother (he can't work, but is having a huge issue with getting disability approved), so what he tells the psychiatrist, I don't know. I know that when he is coherent, he isn't coordinated and the like, but he is at least mentally there for the most part (as much as you can be with the pharmaceutical cocktail he's on). I want my dad back.
smilies23.gif
frown.gif

Thanks.

Let me add, he is only 43. He can fall asleep at any moment during the day, but also has a hard time getting good sleep at night. The pain clinic has him on four of the medicines: MORPHINE SULFATE 15mg 4x daily, Fentanyl patch 25mg every third day, Baclofen 20mg 4x daily and Gabapentin 800mg 3x daily /(off label Neurontin?). The rest are from a psychiatrist. From the way he talks sometimes, it sounds like he thinks he is a burden on my mother (he can't work, but is having a huge issue with getting disability approved), so what he tells the psychiatrist, I don't know. I know that when he is coherent, he isn't coordinated and the like, but he is at least mentally there for the most part (as much as you can be with the pharmaceutical cocktail he's on). I want my dad back.
smilies23.gif
frown.gif

Bump :)

I'm not sure what you're asking.

The man prescribing these meds to your dad is a doctor. But none of us here are doctors.....